Friday, September 20, 2013

Children’s teepee

 IMG_0831

This is Brady peeking around the corner at his new toy…his teepee!  He loved it…OK, so maybe not LOVED, but he is getting used to it gradually…

100_8905

I used this very simple tutorial from Pink Toes and Power Tools and sketched out the measurements provided there. Seriously this pattern is so easy to follow!

100_8908

For the main teepee I used a heavy weight 6 foot x 8 foot canvas drop cloth from Lowes and for the casings for the poles I used a grey chevron canvas cloth from Hobby Lobby. When my son was a toddler I made him one of these and painted Native American symbols around the bottom.

IMG_0833

I’m still looking for that picture, but haven’t been able to locate one…I remember it going well with the Cowboys and Indians theme at his second birthday party.  My niece even dressed up as Pocahontas for the party!

100_8967

So anyway, I sewed it at home and had Brady’s mom and dad pick up the poles from the Home Depot I think…

IMG_6787

This wood is really lightweight so moving the teepee is easy.  I didn’t actually buy the dowels, so am not sure what they cost, but from looking online they run around $7.50 to $10 each. 

100_8963

Love the chevron casings for the wood rods!

photo (1)

I finally snapped a pic of Brady in the teepee…it was just for a second, but hey, that counts!

photo

He is getting closer and closer to it!  He is sooo cute!!

2013-09-26 012

And reading with daddy in the teepee!

teepee cost

I found similar teepees at Land of Nod for $159, Olive & Cocoa for $278, BlazingArrowDesigns on etsy for $95, and Target for $179.99. 

I may be linking to these great parties!

signature21

26 comments:

Carrie This Home said...

What a great idea for an indoor activity for kids! I know with the weather getting cooler I need ideas of fun things to do inside.
I'm stopping by from It's Overflowing (#1 Six Dollar Fall Decor)

Mary said...

I bet I made a dozen or more of these for gifts in the 90s. I always used a 1x6 that we ripped into four 1x1s. We have a nice wood shop and that capability. Thanks for posting the link. I long since gave away my pattern and I would like to make one for my grandson.

I love the chevron detail.

Rita said...

Love this! Such a fun piece for the kids. If you get a chance, please link up to the Suburbsmama Sunday Linky Party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/09/sunday-linky-26.html

KC Coake said...

What an adorable and sturdy looking teepee for such a great price. I bet he will grow to really love it and have so much fun!
KC

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Super cute & fun!!

Kalyn Brooke- Creative Savings said...

This is such a fun idea! I think kids and kids at heart would love a teepee! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

How fun! Every little boy needs a fort! I'm toying with making one for my son for in room, but I don't think it will fit. I may need to improvise a little!

Unknown said...

Love this and would love for you to share this at All Things Pretty on Thursday at http://myfashionforwardblog.com

Jill said...

Great Teepee Ellen! I made my girls one when they were younger and used old curtain rods!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Andrea said...

What a great idea!! We've started a new link party at Go To Sew- just for sewing! We hope you'll stop by to link up! http://gotosew.com/2013/09/brand-new-link-party-isew/

Unknown said...

LOVE this! I've already pinned it, and now I am going to have to make one!! :-)

Rasmussen Family said...

so fun! our daughter loves her tee pee too!

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

This is awesome! I would have LOVED this as a kid. Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-30.html

ibshell said...

Whew! My kids would LOVE THIS! It turned out so wonderful too! Love it. Thanks for the instruction and share ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, you are so creative. I am sure he is loving this and probably his favorite place. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

Glad that the tutorial was helpful! I LOVE the chevron material you chose for the poles :)

Kristen
Pink Toes and Power Tools.com

Betsy said...

This is really fun. I've been wanting to make a Teepee for my daughter's basement play area. And I love that you broke the cost down so that it's easier to know what I would roughly be spending to make one. Thanks, and it looks like he will grow to love that.

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to make a teepee for my daughters room. Yours is so cute!

Unknown said...

My boys would love this! Pinned. I'd love it if you'd share this at Family Fun Friday. http://www.happyandblessedhome.com/category/family-fun last week we had 150 Bloggers and 800+ readers
Thanks so much!
Monica

Unknown said...

came over from Finding Fabulous...love this tent...I pinned it so I could find it later...I think dropcloths can be used to make anything...I just used them to make embroidery hoop wreaths..they are so cheap and durable come visit me at www.thechildatheartblog.com

Ashley @ Pioneer Momma said...

Oh, I love this! And it seems really easy to make, which is even better! Love the pic of him inside the teepee :-)

--Ashley
PioneerMomma.com

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I am in love with it! NEED to make one for my girls! Thanks for sharing and linkin to Sunday FUNday! Featuring you this week! XO

Rika said...

Such a wonderful teepee!

Rhonda said...

I love what you have done. You should come show off your creativity at our link party.
http://obsessiveandcreative.blogspot.com/2013/10/craft-frenzy-friday-7.html
The party will not be the same without you!

Anonymous said...

I love this project! Great work! THanks for linking up at Life Inspired!

Sarah @ Bombshell Bling

Katie said...

Love this teepee! Thanks for linking up last month at Life Inspired--I featured this on Sew Woodsy!